Assignment 3: Research

For this assignment I am looking at responded to this portion of The Garden Party: 


A was only A, and B always only B is gone; today we all know very well that A may be often B as well as A; that B may just as well be A; that B may be B, but equally it may be A and C; just as C may be not only C, but also A, B, and D; and in certain circumstances even F may become O, Q, Y, and perhaps also R. I’m sure you yourselves must feel that what you feel today you have not felt yesterday, you do not feel today, but might perhaps again feel tomorrow; while what you might feel the day after tomorrow you may never have felt before. Do you feel that?

My interpretation of this is the inconsistency in certain emotions and certain definitions of things between days and feelings. To relate this to my own life I am interested in a recent struggle I've felt looking at the struggle of affording to be an artist/photographer. This is such an expensive medium that I often fine myself having to make very difficult decisions about the art I make or the bills I have to pay. One day it may be film, the other day it may be food, the next day it's rent. The priorities shift as time goes on and it's difficult to fully immerse yourself into work with a limited budget. This often leads to feelings of imposter syndrome and confusion about the art and whether it is worth pursuing. It's emotionally draining having to shell out ton's of moneys on film, cameras, and prints to feel any sort of validation in the work. This passage I feel relates to my struggle as a photographer to make meaningful work without paying a ridiculous amount of money to make that work. To represent this feeling I'd like to create a series of still lives depicting photography equipment (film, cameras, books, chemicals) as food to represent the relationship between the need to create being blocked by the need to eat and afford food. 


The following are references from Robert Langham III whose still life's have greatly influenced the work I'd like to make for this project. 









Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Photography Book Proposal: The Road To LA

Recent Hardcore Show Images

Projection Research: Avant Garde Horror